HURON COUNTY COMMISSIONERS, JOB DESCRIPTION
Title: Recycling/Transfer Station Equipment Operator/Solid Waste District
Status: Classified, Non-exempt, Full-time
Wages: $18.75 per hour with an additional $.50/hr. after successfully completing probationary period
Job Summary: Under general supervision, this position operates the loader and other equipment necessary to the recycling/transfer station operation. The incumbent also operates semi-tractors to transfer trailers to and from the pit area and performs routine maintenance on equipment.
- Operates Recycling/Transfer Station equipment to transfer refuse to semi-tractor trailers for hauling to disposal site; operates front-end loader and other powered equipment (i.e. bailer) to load solid waste for disposal or recycling; helps to enforce safety rules and regulations in pit area for staff and customers.
- Operates semi-tractor and other equipment to transfer solid waste to and from tipping floor; backs trucks into narrow spaces as required; operates roll-off truck to and from collection sites and/or disposal sites.
- Performs routine maintenance and custodial duties as directed; performs routine maintenance on equipment as necessary to maintain equipment in operational condition; performs other related duties as assigned.
- Sorts and separates materials to be recycled or diverted from landfill; mows grass, pulls weeds, trims shrubs and trees; plows and shovels snow, picks up trash, paints facilities, sweeps floors and pavement; maintains roadways.
- Performs various unskilled manual labor tasks to assist in departmental operations.
- Physically moves tools and supplies from one location to another.
- Cleans truck beds following use.
- Maintains attendance standards and follows County and department policies and procedures.
- Assists other departmental personnel as required and performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
Must have a high school diploma or equivalent; valid Class B Ohio Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), and acceptable driving record. Must pass a DOT physical examination and post-offer/pre-employment drug screening. Must have experience that indicates skill in the operation of a loader, tractor-trailer rig, and related equipment, as well as the ability to perform maintenance on such equipment. Must be able to perform all the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Both indoor and outdoor work is performed under varying weather conditions, such as extreme heat or cold. Requires performance of physical tasks, including, but not limited to, lifting, bending, stooping, kneeling, reaching, pushing, and pulling. Work is often performed in a malodorous environment.