(August, 1971 Article)
The name HURON is derived from the Huron River, which in turn points back to the days when the Wyandot Indians or Hurons, hunted and fished in the forests and streams which once teemed with wild life. The original white man's title to this area was vested in the State of Connecticut which had ceded its coast-to-coast rights in 1786, but had retained the WESTERN RESERVE lands (but not the political control) for use in retiring the Revolutionary War debt. The western line of this Reserve is now the western line of Huron County. Between this line and the eastern line of Huron County and extending north to Lake Erie, Connecticut created a special district called the FIRELANDS for the benefit of sufferers from British Revolutionary War devastations. Buyers of these lands, mostly New Englanders, soon settled, cleared the land, started saw mills, opened stores and laid out roads. Sale was facilitated by the surveying of the lands into five-mile townships (all with four sections) by the Fire Lands Company of land owners. The Connecticut origin of the settlements is commemorated in the names of many of the county's townships; Lyme, Ridgefield, Norwich, Norwalk, Fairfield, New Haven, Greenwich and New London.
The County, including what is now Erie, was authorized in 1809 and organized in 1815. Norwalk being made county seat in 1818 and remaining such after the creation of Erie County in 1838. It was in these years that the oldest villages and towns were first settled: Norwalk, Bellevue, Monroeville, New London and New Haven.
The wealth of Huron County has always been based on its agricultural production - which includes the "World's Biggest Salad Bowl" -- the rich muckland around Celeryville, Ohio, with industrial enterprises keeping pace with the continued growth of the state. The geographical location aided by transportation (turnpikes, seaways, railroads) offers much to future expansion. Huron County is composed of 497 square miles; 318,080 acres, with a 1970 population totaling 49,587.